Lakeside Homes was originally built in the late
1950’s as a “model community” response to the
need for affordable housing. Over time however, Lakeside Homes
gradually became a “housing project”, stigmatized
by its rigid layout and attached units that differed so dramatically
from the surrounding single-family neighborhood.
2001, in conjunction with preparations for applying for a
HUD grant through the HOPE VI program, the City of Pontiac and
the Pontiac Housing Commission jointly sponsored this Master
for the Crystal Lake Neighborhood.
of the Master Plan was to create a unified plan for development
- Provides housing for a broad range of incomes and lifestyles;
- Preserves and takes advantage of the scenic and recreational
resources of the area;
- Unifies the neighborhood through interconnected streets and
- Creates a livable, pedestrian-friendly neighborhood with sidewalks,
greenways and parks; and
- Achieves community vitality by providing a mix of uses that
meet the daily needs of residents.